If you are a small business owner, blogger, affiliate marketer, Adsense and CPA marketer, those selling information products, e-commerce site owner or any other online business owners and still run this business today, congratulations. You’ve survived the onslaught of Google’s might of late haven’t you. Yes with many marketers’ income and lives that have been adversely affected by Google’s Panda, Penguin, or Exact Match Domain algorithm updates you should be thankful that you are still in business. But at this juncture we should evaluate our own business potential and give some serious thinking about what new strategies we should adopt for 2013 and onwards.
Whether your online business helps you earn a little extra monthly income or brings in 6-figures a year (or more), you already know how important getting traffic is. And like many, you may find it’s difficult, sometimes even exhausting to get the consistent traffic you need. With Google likely making more such updates this gets even tougher.
Forget The Old Traditional SEO Ways
It’s clear Google is gaining the upper hand on traditional SEO methods so there is no use adopting any of these practices anymore like:
1. Get a bunch links – thousands of them
2. Get links with your keyword in them
The formula looked like this:
- 60% of your links should be your main keyword
- 15% of links are your main keyword + other words (eg: read about,
check out, etc)
- 15% of your links generic text (eg: click here, visit site)
- 10% of your links as the text (eg: your link URL used as the text)
The interesting thing to note is that it is no longer this easy to rank in Google. Even if some marketers still resort to such “formula” because their site rankings have not suffered too much, there could be reasons for it. BUT there’s one very good reason that some of their sites didn’t get hit at all, or recovered extremely fast. And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with where they were getting the links from, but more so with “how” they were linking… i.e. the link density and anchor text they were using. Still it is important to evaluate your present link building strategy and decide how you want to proceed.
Change To A Proven Business Strategy
Whether you are a new Internet Marketer or an experienced one, it is always good to follow a proven business strategy that works and delivers results consistently. A good way to do this is follow a good training program run by well established marketers. Many of them follow 3 Basic SEO Methods:
1. Keyword Research
- Accelerated keyword research techniques that exponentially increase traffic levels to your site.
- Conquer top rankings for ultra-competitive search terms using the potent “nested” keywords approach.
- Crucial planning steps that must be taken before you ever start thinking about optimizing your sites.
- Learn how to make the search engines thrilled with your carefully chosen, keyword rich “category” pages for your website.
- 2 coveted rules for picking keywords that you’ll be able to successfully rank high for.
- 4 quick tips for discovering how much time and work it’ll take to outrank your search term competitors. (So you can find out early if it will be easier and more fruitful to target other keywords).
- Secrets to creating webpages that rank high for MULTIPLE keywords so you can dramatically increase your traffic.
2. Onsite Optimization
Onsite Optimization is now recognized as a critical SEO component after all these Google algorithm updates. This is where you’ll begin building your highly optimized site. You’ll have to re-learn the expected requirements on how to get your site built for maximum SEO pull and momentum. A well optimized site has all these advantages:
- High voltage characteristics of the most profitable web pages.
- You can STOP worrying about keyword density in your articles.
- well structured sites that will have Google falling head over heels with your content.
- good internal linking methods that can make the difference between ranking #1 or ranking #10.
3. Offsite Optimization
The link building landscape has changed. It’s very important you’re following best practices when building links (or really take care when you’re not). The recent Google Panda, Penguin and EMD updates have shown that the old traditional SEO ways now do not work. In fact if you are still using them I suggest you start to undo some of the damages they are bringing to your site and ranking, probably with0ut you knowing it.
Learn what this SEO Expert Lisa Parmley of InlineSEO System has to say about how to build an Authority Site Model:
- The 3 categories of link building; real links, forced links, and hidden links.
- Writing good content with a product or service to sell is something you can learn only from the successful marketers. Learn also how to sway real webmasters to give you links (which makes whitehat link building super simple).
- Tips and tricks for using web 2.0 sites and building your own blog/link network.
- Making absolutely sure hidden links are covert so you avoid dreaded unnatural link warnings and penalties.
- How to get real links from webmasters; exactly what to say, how to say it, and who to ask.
If you run an online business, then this is the best time to do all this evaluation before the new year begins. Yes determine the quality of your website as Google sees it today. Changes are necessary in this business if you rely on Google to give you consistent and decent amount of free search engine traffic. Are you comfortable with the way things are going for your business? Are you satisfied that you still rank your sites in Yahoo and Bing and although your business suffered in the hands of Google, you still have at about 30 percent of free search engine traffic coming from them? The choice is yours but do your business evaluation NOW!